Friday, July 19, 2013

Movin' On In

So I finally moved into my own place in Melbourne today. It's on the third floor, so a whole lotta hiking up the stairs, but I managed it okay without passing out, snapping an ankle or knee, or having an asthma attack. I'm pretty sore tonight, but that is to be expected. I had to move everything from my friend's second floor apartment down into the car first. I have discovered more to love about my new apartment such as:




  • the balcony is covered
  • The kitchen cabinets are quite large
  • the tub is huge - have missed that since coming to Australia
  • I have windows on three sides, and no neighbors bordering my bedroom as it's on the corner
  • there is a liquor store and grocery store just down the street
  • the closet space is enormous, more than I've had in years
  • there are lots of plug-ins (known as power points here)
There are a few negatives, one rather large one that I hope to tackle - the place reeks of curry. And I hate curry and the smell that comes from it. I have washed down all the walls and cupboards in the kitchen, and some of the living room, but will likely have to do all of the walls, ceilings and floors. I also have bowls of vinegar out hoping to absorb the stench. The other negative is that my large tub is peeling terribly, so I'm going to have to ask them to redo the tub. The screen door does not close properly and I can't seem to work the lock, so they shall have to fix that too. There are also no upper cupboards so I'm going to have to sort out a shelving rack, probably from Ikea, which is fine - I love Ikea! 

Dundee kind of freaked on the drive over, which annoyed the hell out of me. He was fine for 2300kms in the car from Alice Springs but for a 30 minute drive from Thornbury to Footscray, he wouldn't stop meowing and climbing all over the bloody car. He was unsettled at first in the apartment but has since calmed down, loves all the windowsills for him to sit on, and is currently curled up on the bed for a snoozer after all his exploring. 

I stopped at McDonalds next to the IGA today and had some totally random strange person come right up to me at my table and ask for a hair tie. The strange part is he looked like he had Down's Syndrome, which isn't all that weird - but he was wearing a brilliant long red costume wig that he was looking to put in a pony tail...he was dressed like a woman, but clearly a man. He was very thankful and went on his merry way after putting it up while looking at his reflection in the glass of McDonalds. Strange...I love randomness.

I managed to get the car fully unpacked just as it began to piss down rain again. It rains a lot in Melbourne. I don't mind. At least it isn't hot. And my new digs has new air conditioning - a split system actually so I can use it to heat the place as well, not that I'll really use that, not here. It doesn't get that cold at night like in Alice Springs. There are also mini-blinds in every window, which I hate, but will work well to block out the sun in summer to keep the apartment cooler during the day when I'm at work. 

So now I'm sore and tired, and about ready to lay down with kitty to watch some downloaded television. Tomorrow I am going to see a play about Johnny Cash with some friends, and then going out for Chinese food afterwards. I'll also be continuing to wash down the place in hope of ridding it of the stench of curry...

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!