Monday, April 6, 2015

Final Weeks!

I am nearly counting the hours...cannot wait to get home to the motherland! I've had my first apartment sale, and the last one is this coming Saturday. I've managed to sell a great deal of my things, most of the stuff worth anything much, with just my bed, sofa, and fridge to sell for some good coin, and then all the little tidbits, odds and ends. What doesn't go this weekend will be dropped off at the nearest Salvos (Salvation Army Op Shop aka second hand store). Then I'll be pared down to the sofa and fridge, and whatever is going with me in my suitcase and backpacks. I have held onto a few basic dishes to get me through. I've cleared out most of my kitchen cupboards of food - no more baking or fancy cooking. I'm not sure if all of my stuff will fit in my suitcase and backpacks, so might do a dry run after the yard sale when there's not much left in the apartment to get in the way. 

I have weeded through my clothes and most all that I have left is what I'm taking with me. I have taken 4 bags to Salvos, and another big bag to my friend with the bus. I had entirely too much clothes, and yet I'm still buying more. Much of what I wore here though is not that useful in Canada as the weather will never be as hot as Australia, so no need to slog it across the Pacific Ocean. I'm also not planning to work in government so got rid of all that stupid clothes I bought for work and replaced it with clothing that is more my style - bohemian/hippy. I have ditched all my tiered skirts though as they were just too long and I kept tripping in the damn things. They weren't able to be hemmed as they all had edging and lace. Just as well - too much fabric in a big tiered skirt. I also embraced the "fisherman pants" and find them quite comfy. I've been stocking my closet mostly from a shop near here called Tree of Life. They stock their items from Asia and Indonesia where they have contracts with women who sew the items. I like that. 

I've finished with work. I've decided that I cannot return to work before going home. My anxiety is just not settled enough and I struggle just to enter the building. My last technical day of work is April 30th. I'm having a going away party at St. Kilda beach, but not really inviting anyone from work. It's a long story, and not one I want to write about here. I don't expect a big crowd as I hadn't made many friends here in Melbourne. Most of those coming will be friends I made in Alice Springs that have since moved here. I've been knitting up a storm for months now, and have all but wrecked my poor hands with it. I have carpal tunnel syndrome that has flared quite badly now, and I have numbness most of the time whether I'm knitting or not, so need to take a break from it once I've used up the last of my wool. I have a ton of yarn left but posted an ad on Gumtree and already have someone who wants it, so will post that out tomorrow. I love knitting so much though, and hate idle hands, so not sure what I'll do with them after the wool is gone. 

So the countdown continues - not long now! I hope the weeks fly by, as long as I'm able to keep up and get all my shit done. There's still cleaning the apartment, dealing with my car, and many calls to services and companies to redirect my mail, bills, etc. Then I'll be on vacation for a few months and loving it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!