Thursday, September 22, 2011

Going Out Bush

     Ah, going out bush. In Australia it refers to leaving town to explore the outback. I thought they might call it going outback, but it's called going out bush. I haven't been out bush since driving to Nyrripi and Yuendumu, but that wasn't an overnighter. This weekend I'm taking a couple of my mates (yeah, I'm getting the lingo) with me to Rainbow Valley, which is about 100kms south of Alice Springs. About 78kms south on the Stuart Highway, and then about 22-24kms on bushroad, 4WD. Shouldn't be near as rough as Palm Valley, but we'll be prepared either way. I have a new shade tent I want to try out and with the higher temperatures and the reported lack of shade at Rainbow Valley campground, it's the perfect time. I'm quite certain we'll need shade this summer (Christmas) when Amber comes and it's 40C and hotter during the day. Great thing about the desert heat is the shade is at least 10-15C cooler than the exposed, and then at night, cools off nicely for sleeping.
     There is something to be said for spending time out bush. Alice Springs isn't a big town by any means, but is sure is nice to escape it once in awhile and hear nothing but mother nature talking to you. No road trains roaring by, no screaming and yelling by the locals (their frequent way of communicating), no bushfire smoke (checked the fire website) and hardly any people. Of course, it will be the first weekend of school holidays for some of the schools here, but I reckon they are not all going to be headed to Rainbow Valley when there are so many places to go from here. I'm looking forward to just exploring the hiking trails, taking hundreds of photos with my Rebel, and relaxing in my camp chair later with some cold beers while we fire up the grill for supper as the sun sets in the valley. Ahhh....can't friggin wait.
     There's been so many weekends lately where I couldn't get out of town, or it just didn't line up for me. I had considered going camping alone last weekend but then I was smothered in such a rotten cold, I had no energy to even consider packing the Rav to go. Now that the cold is waning, and I've got my energy back, it's time to rock and roll and get out there! So my mates K. and F. are packing up with me and we shall head out about noon on our weekend adventure into the outback of Central Australia. Our last trip together was to King's Canyon in the early winter/late fall. (Australia seasons)
     I look forward to meeting new folks, other people enjoying their time out bush, and sharing stories. There was a communal campfire at Palm Valley that was quite interesting. Campgrounds in this neck of the woods are very different from Canadian and American campgrounds. There are not always allotted numbered spaces, most sites are without a picnic table, and there is rarely a firepit at your site. There are communal gas barbecues (which I call grills as there is no open flame or rack), and most of the 4WD sites do not have power or water at the sites. Fine with me - means no loud and obnoxious RV's thundering through. Generators are usually prohibited - too damned noisy - yayyy. Surprisingly they often have terrific bathrooms with hot showers, although Rainbow Valley is pretty basic with pit toilets, but I'm okay with that. As long as I don't have to hover over the snakes and spiders in the brush, I'm happy.
     There is just something to be said for waking up at 6am in the wild, watching the sun come up in the stillness of the morning, birds just coming to life, ready for the day.

Life is good, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!