Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Murder in Alice Springs

 I certainly don't want to add to the hysteria around crime rates in Alice Springs, but last night someone was murdered here in Alice Springs, just down the street from me in the riverbed. No word on how it happened, or who it was yet, but those details will become known with time. Sad really, but I have to say, not totally unexpected. This dry riverbed is so busy day and night with people drinking, hanging out, camping out overnight, some folks seem to even live there. Drinking is banned from the riverbed but it clearly does not stop them.
at sunset, I could still see the forensics team there
     I cross this riverbed just to the left of this photo every day on my way to work, and often on the way home from the pub at night. There are ALWAYS tons of VB cans (cheapo beer and a local favorite) and dozens of wine cask boxes, the 2litre size they supposedly banned. It's quite common to see folks sitting around in the daytime in a circle, sometimes around a small campfire. I had become used to the sight, and didn't think much of it. No one ever bothered me, so I didn't bother them. The Henley-on-Todd Regatta that I wrote about just a few weeks back was held right in the very spot they are now processing as a crime scene. On Thursdays it has been known by many locals as mother-fucker Thursdays because it gets a little crazy down there. I haven't noticed that. It can be noisy any given night, with lots of yelling. That is how most of the indigenous people communicate - with the volume UP. I have learned to tune it out and not think about it a whole lot. Now I will. Now I don't know if I will walk home alone at night again, not over this riverbed. Taxi!
     No word on who this woman was, local or tourist, white or indigenous...may she rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!