Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Angkor Wat and I'm Stinking Hot

Yes, I knew Cambodia would be hot, was prepared, but still damned hot. Soaked my clothes with sweat and took 5 facecloths to wipe my sweaty face, used them all, soaked...then it pissed down rain on us at the last temple for the day. Angkor Wat was gorgeous and we were there early in the morning before any wind came to capture the temple in the reflecting pools. Lots of climbing up and down stairs - some wooden, some stone which can be very slippery when wet. F. fell down about 4 steps at one temple, didn't hurt herself too bad, but gave her a bloody fright, as there were another 40 below her, and it was pissing rain.

When the rain came down, it really came down in buckets. Felt sorry for our moto tuk tuk driver Choi as he was  driving through all of the pissing rain. I'm sure he's used it it, but it still sucks I'm sure, while we're tucked away in the tuk tuk away from the rain. Love driving in a moto tuk tuk though - nice breeze, not too fast so we can see what we're passing, and comfy seats, not to mention DRY.

The persistent sales pitches can grind on one's nerves after awhile - one dollar for you, special price, buy from me today, come to my stall, one dollar, only one dollar, etc. The adults are easy enough to pass by but they also have their children selling for them, sometimes as young as 3 or 4 years old. I bought some postcards today from a girl who was no more than 5 years old. She knew what every single card was of and rhymed them off for me. They are everywhere you go, wanting you to spend money on whatever they are selling, be it souvenirs, massage, food, books, water, you name it. Cambodia is definitely the land of the early entrepreneur.


































We went out for supper last night after the rain stopped - that was an experience. We wanted to head back to Pub Street where we were the night before for a few drinks as we had spotted a few good restaurants. It was flooded, as were the streets leading to it. There was about a foot or more of water on the streets, and walking in flip flops just slopped the water up on my long shorts, and F. didn't want to get her Birks wet, so we went barefoot through the cloudy brown water walking on streets that needed repairs - lots of rocks, potholes, and other things to step on in the murky water. Pub Street businesses were all sandbagged, and scooping out besides, but otherwise business as usual. We took a moto tuk tuk back, just to save us the trouble of wading through again, and possibly breaking an ankle or falling in. The food was very good, I've been lucky so far, good meals all along, served very aesthetically pleasing. Service has also been very good, as they are very attentive anywhere I've gone. After supper I had a dark chocolate ice cream which was very good as well. I managed to score a beautiful wallet made of stingray skin, which is pretty cool. The same purse would be over $150 at home in Australia, but I bought it for $25.

Tonight we shall likely wander out for another meal and maybe some more shopping. We switch hotels tomorrow and are heading to the Tenai Guest House, complete with pool and larger balconies. There claims to be a pool here, but it isn't actually here but a tuk tuk ride away to another hotel...too much bother. F. and I are doing separate things tomorrow - I'm going to the floating village for a boat ride (she hates boats) and to the Women's Temple, while she is taking a motorbike ride back to the other temples to see a few she missed today and possibly take a Cambodian cooking class. (I have no interest in that). So many things to do, places to go, photos to take! Cambodia is awesome.

ps - I apologize for the sideways photos - I corrected them on my computer but Blogger stuffed them up. Just turn your screen sideways...or your head...

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!