Thursday, October 27, 2011

Back in the Saddle

Well the holiday was a welcome change, but it sure was nice to get back to Australia's red centre where the humidity was significantly lower and I can breathe. Jumped back into work with both feet, hitting the ground running which is just fine with me. Headed out bush today to Laramba and Ti Tree and had good outcomes with both cases, so always happy when that happens. We had to drive 84kms each way from the paved road to Laramba on bush road which was thrilling as always. One must grip the steering wheel strongly enough to keep it from careening out of control in the red dirt and sand but not too tightly as you could break your thumbs, and when bogged the rule is hands off. We didn't have any issues with control though, and managed the drive without issue. We did see an abundance of reptile life though - ran over a huge snake that was more than half the width of the road - huge king brown! I ran over a few smaller ones, and a couple of lizards - one frill neck lizard and one thorny I think. We also saw several goanna's crossing the road but I think I managed not to hit them. Just as we were leaving Alice Springs we also saw two wallabies on the road, and later down the track we had a cow on the road that I honked and honked at hoping it would continue on it's way off the road, but instead it jumped back onto the road in front of me and ran across...luckily I predicted as much and has slowed right down and off the cow went without further issue. Dumb cow.

It was good to get out bush again. Love the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!