Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday at the Big Hole and Ochre Pits

Ellery Creek Big Hole
Went to Ellery Creek Big Hole again today, with a friend K. We had a little swim, I nearly died swimming to the sandbar - so out of shape, can't remember the last time I was swimming that far. It was a gorgeous sunny day, not too hot, and then we had a little picnic before heading off to the Ochre Pits. This is where traditional local artists would gather various colors of ochre to use for paintings. Many artists now use commercial paints, but the pits are still visited by those wishing to use the traditional methods of painting. They were interesting when the sun was behind cloud cover but just glowed brilliantly when the sun came out from there. The gold just really looks rich, and the red and purples deepen. There was also greens, greys, and oranges. I think I might have to find out how they made paint from them and give it a go myself.
Ochre Pits






No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!