Saturday, January 28, 2012

Where Did January Go?

 
stinking hot
I can't believe January is nearly gone now, and we'll be heading into February. Summer will be over before we know it here in Australia and I couldn't be happier to see cooler temperatures and be able to leave my windows open again. It has been pretty hot here, not sufferingly so like humid temps in Darwin, or like it gets in Ontario and Nova Scotia back home in Canada, but hot enough with 42C as the highest I've seen in Alice Springs and 44C in Coober Pedy. This is a pic from my car's thermometer when it was sitting in the shade. Hot enough. I spend most of my time inside my flat these days with the air conditioning on. It's been too hot to go camping or hiking which I am missing! I am really looking forward to getting back to bushwalking in a month or so.
     I went to my first Australia Day barbecue on Thursday - January 26th is Australia Day here, a public holiday where people get together and rejoice in being Australians. It marks the anniversary of the first fleet of convict ships arriving in Australia. Some folks refer to it as the invasion...I just like having the day off to spend with friends...so I went to a barbecue by the pool and drank beer all day. Fitting way to spend it as I not only celebrated Australia Day but I received my permanent residency visa this week as well, so I don't ever have to leave if I don't want to. Awesomeness.
     I also drove to a place called Bonya this week with a co-worker for an investigation. It is along the Plenty Highway, a bush road that cuts through the Northern Territory and leads into Queensland. I'll be taking the same route with my sister in March, so was glad to have a look at it before then. Gas stations are sparse, so we will have to take a jerry can with some gas or we won't make it. We'll probably drive straight through and camp once we get across the border into Queensland. She arrives on the 25th of March so not long from now! We are both very excited about it.
termite mound
     I saw this termite mound along the Plenty Highway. We saw several that were this big or bigger. They are like concrete when you touch them. I don't know if the termites are still in them or not as you can't see anything from the outside. Peculiar things they are.
Ellery Creek Big Hole
     Was meant to go camping this weekend with friends but they all bailed so we have downgraded to a drive out to Ellery Creek Big Hole for a swim and a picnic instead. It's a great place to swim when there are no lakes or rivers around, and you don't want to be in a pool filled with chemicals or salts. Ellery Creek Big Hole is a permanent waterhole, which is cool to find in the desert and the water is a bit chilly, which is nice on a hot day. My daughter and I went there when she was visiting at Christmas. We didn't stay long though as a thunderstorm was approaching and the water is not a good place to be when lightening strikes...they say this waterhole is very deep, at least 20-30 feet deep, which is why it's so cold I reckon. The bottom is all sandy though so that is real nice. We were going to camp here at the campground, which is a small one, but nice enough, has the basics. My car is still packed. I sweated like a bitch packing it on Thursday night, so was not impressed when everyone backed out, and too hot to unpack it. I'll just leave it in there for now, ready for the next trip. It's all in the back anyhow, great thing about the Rav 4 - big cargo area.
     I've been hiding out in the air con here, much like we hide out in the house during winter with the furnace or wood stove when it's cold. Lots to keep one occupied as I have Austar (satellite) and tons of movies, books, and my Wii. I have a friend coming over this evening to watch Trailer Park Boys for the first time...should be good for some laughs. If you haven't watched, I highly recommend it. The show follows two fictional trailer park bad boys and their friends as they botch up one money making scheme after another. Just hilarious!
     So that's been life in Australia this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!