Monday, April 23, 2012

Notes from the Road

     So I put my sister on a plane on Friday and left the same day to return to Alice Springs. I had about 2500kms ahead of me, over 1000kms of that was bush roads, so I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge, but since I had already driven that same bush road just a few weeks prior, I wasn't real worried. I was prepared for the journey, and packed everything I needed and set out Friday morning about 8am. I managed to make it as far as Leonora and was pretty tired that night, so parked the car in a powered camping site and crawled into the back where I'd arranged the foamies into a bed. To hell with setting up the tent yet again, I couldn't be bothered. All I wanted was to stretch out and watch some Survivor that I had downloaded the night before.
     I managed a few winks and set out again the next morning about 7:30am and once I was past Laverton, I was back on the Great Central Road, which is a dirt/sand/gravel bush road. The road was in good condition and I made good time. I knew I could make it from gas station to gas station without running out, but had filled a jerry can just in case, and was lucky I did. The roadhouse at Warburton was closed by the time I got there, so I simply filled up on my own and kept on going. I was even more tired by the time I got to the Warrakuna Roadhouse, and dark was upon me for the last 50kms, but I took my time, kept my eyes peeled for kangaroos and camels in the road, and made it safely. I crawled into the back of the rig again and watched more Survivor and some Big Bang Theory before settling in for some much needed sleep. The rain started throughout the night and was loud enough on the roof of my car, and all I could think about was, dammit, what is the rain doing to the bush road. I only had about 3 hours left on it, but if it was a mess of mud and floodways, it could take me much longer. Thankfully it did little more than dampen down the dust and with just a few puddles here and there, the road was just fine. I finally connected to pavement again when I reached the park where Uluru/Yulara is, and I was off and running. I stopped briefly in Yulara to get some lunch, gas and a t-shirt - new line they are carrying that mimic the Hard Rock Cafe shirts - Big Rock, no Cafe...
     Then I was on the last leg to home, pedal to the metal, despite the continuing rain, and made it into Alice at about 3pm, so thankful to finally be HOME! I stopped off at a friend's birthday party that was in progress and then drove home to a very needy kitty! Dundee has mauled me continuously and meowed endlessly, giving me shit for leaving him. I did have a friend housesitting, but he missed me, that much was clear. I took only the basics out of the car as it continued to rain, and settled in on the sofa for some American Idol catching up, a meowing Dundee at my side.
     I've been told that driving the Great Central Road is a real feat, particularly for someone to do on their own, so I'm rather proud of myself. Plenty of people talk about driving the road, but never do, and I have my father to thank for inspiring me to challenge myself. The road was somewhat of a challenge for sure, but I conquered it, TWICE! Thanks Dad. Your thirst for the open road and adventurous spirit continues to inspire me.
beach at Lancelin off from the Pub

fishing boats at Lancelin

beach at Green Pool

Green Pool

sis overlooking the beach

sunset at Gracetown

sis watching the sunset at Gracetown

such nice color with the clouds at Gracetown

and then the sky went pink
     My sister made it home before I did, but thankfully with no hitches in her flights this time. I had a wonderful time with her, and was sad to see her go. We enjoyed tumbling at the many gorgeous white sand beaches and turquoise waters Australia has to offer, shared many laughs, while exploring the great state of Western Australia. We made new friends in Perth, and have so many terrific memories from the journey we took together. Thanks sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!