Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Taking Stock

As part of the move, the shipping company requires a detailed inventory of all items being "uplifted" to Australia for me. So begins the latest paper task. They have headings such as linens, crockery & cutlery, glassware, electronics, recreational, clothes, etc. They will ship just 7 cubic metres of personal items, and they only ship one-way, so I don't want to take anything that I would regret having to ship back later. Good thing is, that apartment fire last year on New Year's Day pretty much took care of anything like that. All that I own right now could fit into my van, so it didn't take long to list everything. I want to pick up a few other things before the movers come to ship over with my stuff. I wish I could take my mattress, but in its absence, I am bringing a thick foam topper, still in the vacuum packaging so it takes up way less space.

I have a fair amount of food to eat up before I go, as they won't ship that stuff. What is leftover I'll probably give away here somewhere or bring into my friends in Victoria. I've been trying to use up certain things and not repurchase as I run out. I couldn't tell you how many times I've set up a kitchen, buying all the stock items like flour, sugars, spices, condiments, sauces, etc. I'm curious to see how much adapting I'll have to do in Australia with their supermarkets. One of their chains is Coles Supermarkets. Another is BI-LO. There are two malls, the Alice Plaza Shopping Centre; and The Yeperenye Shopping Centre There is also a weekly open-air market, so looking forward to finding some local crafts at that. I also found out they have a Woolworth's, another chain I thought folded up some 20 years or more ago, although this chain seems to be just grocery now. They also have Kmart, which I also thought folded up it's tents.

So lots of places to spend my money. At least I will be making good money!

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!