Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What's the Scoop?

Well, no sign of any work being done on my 457 visa. The same message from March 17th is still there, saying "processing commenced" but when I emailed them, I was informed last week that a case worker has not even been assigned yet as they are very busy. Great. What does THAT mean? Are we looking at a few extra weeks or a few extra MONTHS?

I managed to find someone to certify my documents as true copies. For some reason that process baffles some folks. I went to the RCMP detachment first, as peace officers, JP's and commissioners of oaths are on the list. They told me they don't do it and told me I should go to a Notary. Yeah, right. That's like going to the hospital for a band-aid - OVERKILL, not to mention very expensive. I checked it out. Notaries charge at LEAST $50 per document. I don't need someone to verify my information, just to put their damn stamp on it that it is an true copy of the original. THAT IS IT. So I stomped out of there, muttering to myself. My doctor gave me enough grief about doing my degrees, so I didn't really want to go back to her. So I checked out the next person on the list - the pharmacist at SDM and he was happy to do it for me, for no cost. Thank-you Mr Pharmacist. I really appreciate finally finding someone who could do this for me.

So with certified copies in hand, I was next off to have them scanned for the visa application, only to find out later that for the 457 visa, they only need to be certified if I am sending a paper application. Scanned images of my passport and birth certificate that are not certified are just fine. Oh well, at least I have them for my RSMS visa application. Well, the passport one anyhow as the RSMS visa requires the long form birth certificate. I ordered that last week to the tune of $35, and should get it next week sometime I reckon.

The costs are adding up. Here is a breakdown of what I've spent so far:

  1. visa application fee - $265
  2. 6 passport photos - $50
  3. criminal record check - $50 (overpriced - I've never paid more than $25 for the MANY I've had)
  4. medical exam - $150
  5. x-ray - $70
  6. lab work - $100
  7. long-form birth certificate - $35
  8. private health insurance in Australia - $381 (for 2.5 months)
And for the RSMS visa, I'll have to go out and do most of it all over again. Most of what I've paid for will be reimbursed when I get to Australia which is great. The fees for the RSMS visa are even higher, with the application fee alone being $1735 if I am still in Canada when it is granted, and $2575 if I am in Australia when it is granted. I don't quite know how that works though as you have to pay when you lodge the application, not when it is granted. Either way, I am very happy to say that my employer is paying that fee! The fees are even greater if English is not your first language at $7165. Holy shit. I'm glad I speak English very well...

The sooner the RSMS visa is granted, the less time I will have to cover with private health insurance. Once the RSMS visa is granted, I am then a permanent resident and eligible for Medicare. Yay! With the 457 visa you must have private health insurance or they won't even look at you.

So there you have it. The latest. I login to the immigration website every day to check for progress. I shall be super excited when I finally see some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!