Sunday, May 20, 2012

Full On

That's a well used Australian term, full on. It refers to things being pretty intense, in your face, heavy, a lot to deal with, etc. And this week has been another full on week. There have been several this year so far, and yet again, another. There was another murder in Alice Springs this week. I'm still trying to comprehend it, as it differs from what seems to be the norm for violence here. I can't really write anything about it as it is still under investigation. Let's just say the details are disturbing and it's been a lot to think about.

So I've been hermiting myself away, trying to forget it all through books, movies, and Mario. Yes, Mario. I bought Super Mario Brothers for the Wii, which turned out to be a lot of fun. I always enjoyed the original my Nintendo, but this was a great improvement, with the same level of easy fun. I just can't do the themed video games, with characters to portray and plots to follow. After using my bean all week, I'm looking for less complicated leisure time. But hermiting is pretty isolating and knowing too much is not good for anyone, I'm heading over to a friend's house for supper tonight. She has a fireplace...nice when it gets chilly at night. I even broke down and bought a heater. Winter here might be nothing like Canada, but 0C at night is cold no matter where you hang your hat. And my house is not only unheated, it is uninsulated so it doesn't retain much heat overnight. I don't mind it too much, but the little heater takes the chill off, and then I can just get comfy on the sofa with a quilt and sweater.

The afternoons are quite pleasant outside, with temperatures in the 20's most days. Dundee still loves to stalk lizards and bugs in the garden, which is growing splendidly the third time around. I water it 1-2 times per day for 30 minutes with the soaker hose, and there are new shoots on all plants. With any luck they will be well established by the time the next hot summer comes around.

I'm itching to get out somewhere, anywhere. I have a bush trip to Hart's Range on Wednesday, so that will help somewhat. I really want to go camping again, so will try and organize that soon enough. Its's been hard to get a weekend when none of us are on-call, among other things. I have no other travel planned for this year, although I am considering driving to Broome at some point in the next 12 months. That will depend on who I can talk into coming to visit me this year, heh heh. Perhaps my friend K. in Yellowknife will think about it? Come on, you know you want to come to Australia!

Dundee at right, monitoring the courtyard garden.
Branches go to the jasmine bush on the canopy of the courtyard.
So I'm sitting here in my courtyard, just a couple of weeks before the first day of winter. It's 21C, no wind, and clear blue skies. The jasmine overhead is in full bloom with a white carpet of petals over the garden. Dundee is patrolling for intruders, and there are neighborhood busy sounds all over. The one I miss the most here is a lawnmower and that fresh green grass smell. They do mow here, but so infrequently and few have any grass to mow. I need to clean my courtyard up as there is yet another apartment inspection coming up. There might not be any grass, but along with the jasmine blooms, there are always tons of leaves and branches to clean up every week in both courtyards, year round. At least it isn't snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!