Friday, September 5, 2014

Crazy Pearl Market and Temple of Heaven Park


We woke early again today after passing out early last night. More drama in the night - my daughter woke from a terrible nightmare she couldn't shake for several minutes, and left her shaking and freaked out. Turned the lights on and talked her awake and it passed. She dreamt she was stuck in an underwater cave calling for me by name, not as ma. Weird!

We scarfed down our crappy free breakfast and headed to the Pearl Market for some serious shopping. OMFG they were as aggressive as I've ever had it - grabbing me by the arm, trying to pull me into their shops, shouting out to us at every turn - it got a bit ridiculous so we left after only an hour. The markups were crazy and I still think we overpaid despite her price coming down from 3500Yuan to 600Yuan...I managed to score a beautiful silk dressing robe, a jade bracelet, and some other souvenir type things. Neither my daughter and I were interested in pearls, so we didn't even bother after the craziness of the other floors. We had Pizza Hut for lunch at the Pearl Market, which I thought was quite good but my daughter didn't care for her chicken much. Our stomachs are saying NO to local cuisine after a few bad experiences, so we are sticking to western foods more. We had supper tonight at The Palms again, and it was delicious and exactly as ordered. 

From the Pearl Market we decided to head to Temple of Heaven Park which is right next door, and lae around for the afternoon, strolling here and there, stopping to take long breaks, do some reading and people watching. It was nice to have a bit of a slower afternoon after all the treks we have been on. The park was beauitful and huge, so we didn't get to see it all. The heat wasn't as bad today as yesterday, but my daughter didn't think so. I wore a long sun dress today so my sunburned legs wouldn't be exposed and it made heaps of difference. 

Tomorrow we head out on the fast train to Shanghai for the weekend, and back to Beijing on Monday. We're looking forward to an even slower day, just riding the train and dozing. It moves at approximately 300kms/hour, so that will be FAST! Tonight we must pack up and be ready to head out early in the morning. My daughter is napping at the moment, so I shall have to rouse here with some loud rustling of things as I pack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!