Friday, September 12, 2014

Night Market Food

We set off tonight for the night market around the corner from our hotel. This is the market where they sell all of the really exotic and strange foods. There was snake, scorpion, centipede, dolphin, dog (yes, dog), starfish, baby pigeon, octopus, bats, silkworm crysalis, and who knows what else! My daughter tried the sea snake, but that was all she was up for. I took photos...that was all I was up for! She said it tasted overwhelmingly like the spices they lathered on, and was a bit rubbery. 

While at the night market, we met this man outside a shop who was an artist and had a long chat with him about things - our countries and their differences, what we did for a living, and so on. He then offered to make a painting for me for free - just some characters on rice paper, but it turned out pretty cool. The first line means protector of children and elderly. The second line is my name, which means radical innovative emperor, and the last line is the date, location and signature of the artist. Pretty cool! Then we decided to buy paintings from him as well and I bought one of the Great Wall, which is just beautiful. Amber bought one of pink plum blossoms, which represents beautiful women. 

2 comments:

  1. "Sometimes it feels like we just arrived in China and other times it feels like we have been here forever"
    ~ This struck me first thing, it's like I always feel everytime I am to leave a place I just visit. :)

    I haven't gone to China, but with all the research, these exotic food of scorpions, tarantulas, and the likes are always the main highlight whenever I encounter a blog about China Travels. Can you ask your daughter what the taste of that sea snake? lol! :) Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. She said it didn't taste like a whole lot, just the strong spice they had on it.

    ReplyDelete

come on, tell me what you think!