Sunday, April 10, 2011

One More Sleep

Well, I leave tomorrow night for Australia. It has been a long haul to get to this place, but I made it! The movers picked up my stuff last night, and I hope to see it again in about 2 months. It will be sailing out of BC across to Australia. I had to make a detailed inventory for customs so if I lose everything, at least I have some idea of what has been lost.

My friends and I are celebrating my departure this afternoon with a potluck barbecue supper and drinks. It will be bittersweet. I look forward to spending some time with my favorite Vancouver Island peeps, but then I shall be bidding them a fond farewell, with no idea of when I will return to Canada. I have promises to visit me in Australia, so will look forward to those visits.

It isn't without sadness that I leave my homeland. Canada has been my home for just over 44 years. I have traveled nearly every highway in the country, and enjoyed every kilometer. I have lived in 2 territories and 5 provinces. I look forward to doing the same in Australia. I'm considering the purchase of a brand new Toyota Rav-4 when I arrive. First I have to learn how to drive on the other side of the car and the other side of the road. I hope my 44 year old mind is able to make the switch, shifting the gears with my left hand. I hope they have not reversed the gas and brake pedals or we shall be in for a real trip...

Australia, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!