Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Simpson Gap and Standley Chasm

Well, today I set out for more hiking. I returned to Simpson Gap to see if I can spot any wallaby action, but I think I was too late in the day. The guide stated that they are most often seen at dawn and dusk at the watering hole. I did take the short hike through the gap and the watering hole, which was gorgeous. The watering hole is shrinking fast, and will probably be dried up within another week or two. The hole was a raging river during the wet season. They normally only get a couple of inches of rain per year but this past summer (our winter) they received upwards of half a metre of rain, most of it all at once, which flooded the roads, and had the dry creek beds flowing like rivers. There were signs all along the highway for floodways, and measuring sticks so you can tell just how high the flooding is before you try to drive your sorry ass through it and need rescuing, which apparently happens ALL the time in the top end. They receive monsoon rains in the Darwin area, and flooding in the summer (our winter) is quite an issue.
In any case, from the short hike at Simpson Gap, I drove another few dozen kms down the highway to Standley Chasm. If you don’t know what a chasm is, it’s when the force of a river cuts a deep cleft in the sandstone, leaving behind sheer cliffs that run straight up. As the sun reaches noon position, it lights up the walls of Standley Chasm, making them glow red in the sunlight. People gathered to watch this happen and cameras were clicking constantly. I think I took about 50 photos here alone. I wanted to go past that sign that warned me not to, but I was good, and decided not to tempt fate. Before the chasm hike though, I took another path up to the top of a mountain point, scratching the heck out of my legs on some sort of very sharp needle like plant. I also came across some wallaby poop, but alas, no wallaby. It was on this lesser traveled trail that I came across a grass shelter. It was made of four posts and a net across the top, with grass thrown up on it for shade. Interesting!
On my way back from the chasm, I came across my very first goanna. It was a spotted one. I heard something rustling in the bush beside me, and saw something move, and was happy to find a goanna and not a deadly snake. This one was about 2-3 feet long from tip to tail. He didn’t seem to mind me taking his photo, although I’m certain he thought I couldn’t see him. He did blend well with the environment, but I could definitely see him. I wanted to reach out and pick him up, but then someone else came along, and the moment was lost. I did chat for a few moments with the folks that came along, all Aussies. One of them told me he loves to give tourists a go at King’s Canyon when he sees them swimming in the waterhole by telling them he wouldn’t be swimming in there with all the crocs around…heh heh…then they all rush out. We both chuckled over that. There are no crocs in the red centre. I think King’s Canyon will be my next weekend hike. It’s 6k, and should take about 2-3 hours. I’m hoping I can convince one of the other newbies to come with me if they’re interested.
I also saw a few more spiders today, different from the ones I saw yesterday, and a bit larger. Gross, but interesting. I put my bankcard next to one for size comparison. He was as big as the card…at least I saw them both in plenty of time not to become wrapped up in the web.
My legs are still pasty white, despite wearing shorts today. My upper half is getting some sun, and I’ve been putting 55spf sunblock on my face, as my nose and giant forehead usually get too much sun. I’ve had a look at the women from here, and they are wrinkled and look OLD, from too much sun. I’ve made it to 44 without a single wrinkle in my face, and don’t want to start now. A few that I’ve spoken with were surprised to find out I was as old as I am, because they are used to seeing women become rather wrinkled from the sun by that age. I think my face has survived so well because I gave up make-up a couple of decades ago. All that pushing and rubbing on your face along with layering on the crap will do some real damage to your skin after a while. As for grey hairs, I have many these days and have earned each and every one.






On Monday, I head “out bush” with my team leader to Yuendumu, and another place I can’t find on the map I have at home. We leave at 7am and expect to be back about 7pm. We are taking the 4-wheel drive and may need it, as one of the short cuts is an unpaved road through the outback. I’m excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!