Friday, May 6, 2011

Another Week Punched

No bush trips this week, but lots of driving around town, looking for people. I've discovered that our clients are rather mobile people who are never where you expect them to be. People will give you a bunch of addresses where they might be "stopping" which means staying over, but we get there and we are sent to the next place. You do not get in the door, ever. I've peeked in a few doors. I don't think I want to. So our visits happen outside, standing by a fence, or under a tree, or next to a dead car (as previously described). We also do visits at the schools and speak to the children there. Today we had to interview a child who is deaf and has no sign language skills. Yeah....that was a challenge.

However, I am enjoying the work, liking my co-workers on the CAT team very much, and I truly enjoy being in a separate office building from the main child welfare offices. It's like a damn zoo over there, as child welfare offices tend to be. Busy, people coming and going all the time, noisy, children everywhere, and just plain overload. My office has no more than 4-5 people at any given time, and only two of them are social workers. The rest are police and the receptionist. Awesome. The officers are a lot of fun, and we all manage to get our work done.

I went out shopping for camping gear today, as I've planned a camping trip to King's Canyon tomorrow with a couple of friends. I was offered a swag, but that means I'm outside on the ground, with no zippered tent between me and the bugs, snakes, and other nasty things that crawl around. So I bought a cheapo dome tent, and a nice sleeping bag. It's rated to -5C and I told the gals if it gets colder than that, I'm coming the hell home. I didn't come to Australia to freeze my ass off.
I also had to stock up on other camping stuff like an air mattress, pump, bug spray, sun block, etc. We will be doing a 6km hike the next morning so need to be ready. I also bought a water bottle with strap so I can free up my hands. I'll be bringing me camera backpack, and it doesn't have any water bottle pockets. Bringing water is a must in the outback, and for a 3-4 hour hike, we will go through a fair bit. It's the perfect time of year, not too hot, and even cooler in the morning. What time we leave for hiking depends on how much beer we drink the night before. Apparently there is a pub at the campground, along with a restaurant, store, and a pool! The campground is part of a resort, and the only business for many miles around.

I've been looking around at vehicles, and am hoping to get some time at the Toyota dealership next week. I think I'm going for a Rav 4 or a FJ Cruiser, although I heard the plant that makes the FJ Cruiser was totaled in the Japan earthquake and isn't currently in production, so I might be SOL for that one. I'll be happy enough with a Rav 4 I reckon, although it doesn't have the same clearance as the FJ Cruiser. I just hope Toyota is willing to give me a car loan, and that Toyota Credit Canada will tell them what a good customer I was. I paid off two Toyota's without missing a payment, so that should count for something. I would much rather a Land Cruiser, but my budget can't afford one of those!

So there you have it...the week in review, with a fine weekend ahead. As long as I don't fall off this cliff...

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!