Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Ides of May Down Under

Well, here we are at the ides of May already. Before you know it, 2011 will be half over. Where did the time go? It seemed like I was waiting for months and months to come to Australia and now I've already been here over a month. And I couldn't be happier. While there are things and people that I miss back in Canada, Australia has been the right move for me. The weather is my absolute favorite thing - bright blue skies nearly every single day, and temperatures in my favorite zone - teens at night, twenties by day.

There are some changings coming soon, settling in ones. I bought myself a 2010 Toyota Rav 4 and get to pick it up on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll be able to tackle some of those 4x4 only roads now, once I get an outback kit together. There are certain things they recommend you don't go without while traveling the 4x4 roads. Things such as jumper cables and extra oil are standard to have in a vehicle, but other things are just as important when you are driving in the outback, such as:

  1. tow strap and snatch strap
  2. shackles - for hooking up the straps
  3. at least 10 litres of water (for people or radiator)
  4. basic tools - screwdrivers, pliers, wrench, etc.
  5. tarp or mat for changing tires - the ground temps can reach 60-70C in the summer
  6. long handled shovel - for digging a dead man 
  7. air compressor & tire gauge
  8. first aid kit
  9. fire extinguisher - in case your engine catches on fire
  10. extra hoses and belts
  11. fuel funnel, water funnel
  12. jack plate (for putting the jack on if you are on sand or soft dirt)
  13. gloves - digging and tire changing is rough work when it's hot and dry - ripping a new blister would certainly impede the process
  14. dehydrated food packages - it could be hours or days before someone comes by if you're really bogged and alone
  15. satellite phone - somewhat of a luxury but I will probably get one down the road. There is no cell service in the outback. 
  16. outback road map - not all roads are shown on a tourist road map
  17. bright orange distress sheet - you may blend in with the outback environment so this will show search parties where you are from quite a distance
  18. an axe - I have always kept one in my vehicles - for firewood, defense, or getting a tree out of the roadway
  19. compass - another things I always travel with
  20. sleeping bag - the desert outback can get pretty cold at night
So I have a bit of shopping to do this week once I pick up my new rig. Some of the items I already have, while others have not really been necessary in my previous vehicles and locations, so will have to buy new. The outback is thousands of square miles of wilderness, so one must always be prepared. I was a Girl Guide - I try to always be prepared...

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!