Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy May Day

Yes, they celebrate May Day here in Australia. Other than it being a public holiday, I'm not sure how it is celebrated. Probably by drinking somewhere, who knows? All I know is I didn't have to go to work, and about half of the businesses were closed. I don't think there is another public holiday until June, but we shall see.

I've been asked by some folks what it is I miss about Canada, as in what can't I get here that I could find easily in Canada. It has been interesting for sure.

  1. hot dogs. Just plain old hot dogs. They sell something that resembles hot dogs, but they are often sheathed in a bright red skin, and taste nothing like a hot dog. 
  2. bacon. Just plain old bacon, the long thin strips of pork fat in a sealed package. Instead I've found thicker cut bacon with the rind attached, along with the roundish meatier piece still attached. And it does not taste like bacon at home.
  3. orange cheese. I haven't laid eyes on any cheese of any type that might be orange cheddar. 
  4. chili sauce as in a sweet but mildly spicy ketchup type. When I did buy some, it was more like a sickly sweet dipping sauce. 
  5. Miracle Whip. They do sell mayonnaise, but it isn't Miracle Whip. damn...
  6. summer clothes. They seem to be expecting snow here by the look of the clothing in the stores - sweaters, woolly coats, boots of all kinds, pants, knitted scarves and gloves. WTF? We are in the desert...I am so glad I thought ahead and bought a bunch of summer clothes at Old Navy before I left Canada. They don't ship internationally. 
  7. beans in molasses. They do sell Heinz beans, but they are either in tomato sauce or bbq sauce. I tried the bbq ones - gross...
And then there are the inflated prices...
  • one green bottle of propane was $7.49 - in Canada, no more than $4.50.
  • a Brita water container for the fridge (10 litre) $79! - in Canada, I paid $39.99 for the same one.
  • Coca Cola - a 600ml bottle is at least $3 anywhere, even at the grocery store. In Canada, it is usually under $2 unless you are using a vending machine.
  • laundry detergent, larger bottle, usually $28 or more. In Canada, never more than $10-15 at best.
  • gas - this was expected. it's $1.89/litre or more. In Canada, averaging about $1.29/litre or so.
  • milk - prices are not regulated in any fashion. At one grocery store a 2 litre jug is $2 while the competing grocery store charges $3.89 for the same brand and size. 
  • meat prices - I nearly had a heart attack at the prices of beef and chicken. Some prices are doubled what they are in Canada, and they have cattle farms everywhere here! I don't get it.
  • alcohol is very expensive. a case of 24 cans of beer is $50. I nearly shit.
  • household linens - everything from sheets, towels, blankets and dish cloths seem to be rather pricey, even at Target and Kmart. But I can buy a table lamp for $3. The bulbs cost more than the lamp. 
In any event, I'm settling into Australian life well enough. I've made some friends, I like my job, and although I find time at home long, once I get that 4x4 and a paycheque, I'll be hitting the road on the weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!