Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday Go To Market






So being carless on a Sunday, I ventured downtown in search of the Red Kangaroo, a local bookstore specializing in Australian books. It was a bit of a hike at 2.3 kms each way, but the day was gorgeous, with a cooling breeze and the bright blue skies I have fallen in love with. And of course, walking anywhere puts one back into touch with nature that is often bypassed as one whizzes by in a car. I discovered that the ugly looking olive like knobs on the trees blossom into these simply gorgeous yellow puffballs. I also came across a group of Aboriginal men sitting in the riverbed together, passing away a lazy Sunday. The riverbed has an unusual amount of grass in it this year after a 10 year drought. It won't run again until next summer, that is provided it does rain. For the rest of the year, it is bone dry in most spots, although if you see greener grass like in some of the photos, you can bet those roots have secured a bit of a waterhole beneath the surface.
I managed to find the bookstore, after browsing through the Sunday market on Todd Mall (which is a pedestrian only street perfect for open markets). There were plenty of treasures to be found, and I bought myself a silk and pashmina scarf for $15. There were several Aboriginal women who were sat on the grassy knolls with their dot paintings on canvas. They were beautiful, but I can't spend money on such beautiful artwork just yet until I secure an apartment and furnishings. For now I have settled for tea towels which depict Aboriginal artwork very nicely at a very affordable price. The market was busy enough, although I was late in arriving as it opened at 9am, and it was after noon when I got there. There was plenty of jewelry, textiles, artwork, food stalls, and other crafters. It will be a great place to secure some Christmas presents when the time comes.
By the time I arrived back home again, I was parched and tired as I had forgotten to take a bottle of water. I think such escapades will demand the use of a backpack so I can carry my wares, and a bottle of cold water. Dehydration can happen quickly here in the outback, and just because we are in the fall of the year, the air remains very dry.
I'm ready for a Sunday nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!