Monday, March 19, 2012

And Life Goes On

It's been a very busy month here in central Australia. Violence and sexual abuse has been rampant, which means my team has been very busy. There have been 2 murders, several stabbings, several viscious assaults with everything from a machete to an axe to a shovel to a lead pipe to trying to run someone over with their car. The girls have taken a tragic hit this month, with more sexual assaults that just curdle your blood. Daddies and daughters, gross old men and young teenagers - more than enough to last a lifetime. I know it's what I do, but sometimes it just gets to me. Some of these girls will never get over what has happened to them. They trusted someone who brutally abused that trust. I hear people tell me all the time that they couldn't do my job because they would want to go out and punch the person responsible. I know why they feel this way. But someone has to listen to their stories, to help them find what they need to move on from their tragic stories. It's why I get out of bed in the morning. Someone has to do it. For now, it will be me.

I've heard people say that the social problems in Alice Springs are right there in your face. Some days I feel like I've been the one punched in the face, as I listen to one more young child tell me of the wrongs that have been done to them, be it sexual or physical. I know what vicarious trauma is. I live it on days like that. I'm going on vacation next week with my sister. It won't come a day too soon. We have a new addition to our team so I can at least go knowing the team will not be left short without me. Thank-you I. for coming to central Australia. You will learn more than you can ever realize during your year here.

We head for the bush tomorrow and again on Thursday. Life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!