Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Stones with a Story

     I went to the Sunday market again this week. There was the usual assortment of market stalls - imported stuff, some junky, some great, but usually overpriced. And then I came along a rock hound's stall. He had a lot of stone jewelry that was not overpriced but had some real interesting stones and he had the book to tell all about it's meaning and use. So I bought a charoite stone on a cord, as pictured here, a gorgeous purple stone (it isn't dyed, this is the color this stone comes in) from the one place in the world it forms in Russia. I just love it. Anyhow, I realized all of my stones came with a story. For the charoite, I bought it in central Australia and it's from Russia, and quite rare.

     The turquoise square is from my daughter and she knew how much I loved turquoise. She also gave me the quartz square as well, just after the fire and I had lost all of my jewelry except for what I had on at the time. My dear friend Indigo. who has since passed, gave me the white bone (I know, not stone but deal with it) one from New Zealand where she spent several weeks one fall with her partner. She originally brought one back for me and an extra one, either for herself or for her someone else collection. Indigo loved to shop and she would buy a dozen or more of certain things to use as gifts should the occasion arise. She knew I lost mine in the fire, so sent me the second one pictured here, which is very similar to the first. She also sent me the inukshuk stone as well. Indigo lived and worked all over the northern territories of Canada for more than 2 decades and loved the north. She had quite a collection of soapstone and this was one of her many carvings she bought while living in the north. She always bought directly from the carvers, and would take a photo of the carver/artist with his/her wares.
     The piece of Amber is from my friend L. in the mountains of rural BC. She had met my daughter Amber before when we worked together in the Yukon, so gave me the Amber to remind me of my daughter as I traveled last year. I had stopped in to see her along my way, parking my Karma hippy van in her vast back yard over a babbling brook.
     The red and green circular stone is from Indigo's jewelry making sister, who had also heard about me losing all of my jewelry in the fire and sent me several pieces. The remaining stone is one I purchased in my favorite little gift shop in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia - MacIsaac's Kiltmakers. It has some amethyst in it I believe, along with some quartz. I love the variety of colors in it as well.

another interesting musician at the market

market goers

more market goers

it was cool music

market



No comments:

Post a Comment

come on, tell me what you think!